Saturday, October 12, 2013

I, Frankenstein Trailer


I know this is from the producers of Underworld, but does it have to look so Underworldy? Bill Nighy is in it for pete’s sake! Why not just team up Adam Frankenstein with Selene and call it a day? All jokes aside, the visuals are pretty slick for a B-movie.

Remember when Hollywood was snapping up every comic book and graphic novel property in sight? Some stuff even before it was published. Quite a few aspiring screenwriters tried turning their specs into funny book material -- Alas, I wasn’t that good of an artist and my pockets weren’t deep enough to afford a good one -- but Hollywood’s appetite eventually subsided. However, every now and then you’ll see something like I, Frankenstein get made. That January release date is a cause for concern though...

I haven’t read Kevin Grevioux’s graphic novel, but this world appears to be inhabited with some unique supernatural characters. When was the last time gargoyles got the big screen treatment? It just goes to show that if you can find a fresh take on a well known property in the public domain, someone will pay attention.

I was just about to finish this post when a little casual googling revealed the budget is $68 million?! I was expecting half that. With all the strides Hollywood has made with visual effects, it baffles me why movies like this are still so expensive. On the other hand, why do movies like this rely so much on costly special effects and set pieces while only giving lip service to the built-in (and cheaper) horror elements?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...