Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Canceling The (Zombie) Apocalypse!


This isn’t a Pacific Rim post  -- I’ll save my grim box office predictions for later -- but rather a reference to an article from The Wrap last week. Due to the glut of zombie projects in development, Hollywood isn't clamoring for more material. Apparently, an A-Lister like Brad Pitt starring in the big budget ($190 million!?!) World War Z was the final nail in the coffin. I guess its like teens abandoning slang after Mom and Dad start using it...

Folks, you might as well delete that zombie spec needlessly taking up space on the hard drive. As a matter of fact, get rid of specs about superheroes, aliens, ghosts, found footage, heists, fast cars, horny teens, monsters, time travel, vampires, exorcisms, serial killers, assassins, spies, psychics, werewolves, fairy tales, westerns, robots, wizards, witches and you’ll be fine.

The article probably makes sense if you’re constantly trying to chase the hot trend of the moment, but I’m a firm believer in writing what I like. Crazy, I know. One producer suggested that we have to innovate, but isn't that always the case? So while mainstream Hollywood might be suffering from zombie overload, there’s always going to be a demand from horror fans. Besides, by the time I finish my zombie pilot spec, the genre might be hot again...

Anyway, this topic is a perfect opportunity to fill out the rest of the week with thoughts on a bevy of zombie tv/films that I’ve neglected to blog about. Expect some musings on Warm Bodies and In The Flesh shortly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...