Saturday, September 08, 2012

#goodreads - Poltergeist


One of my favorites from the 80s. I haven't seen it in ages, but a recent discussion over at Go Into The Story about horror movie recommendations brought it back to mind.

Check out one of my favorite scenes:




Now look at this script excerpt:



Screenwriting style really has changed over the years -- or maybe we obsess too much over formatting these days, rather than coming up with the best scene/story possible.

I love that suspenseful moment between the clown disappearing and Robbie eventually "finding" it. It's also interesting how a wardrobe decision can change the tone of a scene. JoBeth William's character in the script was sensibly dressed in a nightgown and robe when the ghostly shenanigans began. What we get on screen is more titillating than scary, which I guess was Spielberg's intention.

You can find the entire script here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...