Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Malkovich's Mail



You've probably seen this already, but in case you haven't, it's a glimpse of what happens to our query letters (and unsolicited screenplays) when they end up at a small production company -- Mr. Mudd, which was created by John Malkovich, Lianne Halfon & Russell Smith. Those poor, poor people. Constantly deluged with tons and tons of scripts. The filmmakers also trace back to some of the people behind these scripts.

Watching the doc, I got the impression that some of the writers just wanted to feel like they mattered more than anything. The guy with Pterodactyl Man was the most passionate by far -- for obvious reasons. And yet I could easily picture his script as an animated short for kids... now I gotta find out what happened to these people.

Another thing, it was shot way back in 2003, so I guess a lot of folks were still using snail mail, but I can only imagine what their in-boxes look like today. Picture some Creative Executive sitting at his or her computer with a thousand yard stare. Although it can be disheartening, we still have to plug on.

I'm not gonna spoil, but I can say that I really liked the ending. Malkovich is a pretty cool dude.

You can check out Parts 2-5 here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...