Monday, June 27, 2011

On Second Thought...


I decided that I wouldn't start querying until after the Nicholl quarter-finalists are announced — which is only about a month away. Mentioning my success in genre contests didn't appear to increase read requests. A well-crafted query letter, minus the awards, probably would have fared the same. In fact, I did get a few requests just off my logline.

However, a solid showing in one of the more well-respected contests carries more weight than say placing in Evil Eddie's Screenwriting Extravaganza. As much as I'd love to make the Nicholl quarter-finals, a top 10-15% finish is perhaps respectable enough to mention in a query. It certainly can't hurt.

Now I haven't put all my hopes and dreams on contests this year. I've been playing around with youtube. More and more filmmakers are using it as a calling card. There's a strong possibility that I'll try that route. Nothing too elaborate, but strong enough to get my concept across. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky...

Still in rewrite mode with the current supernatural thriller. I lopped off a big reveal at the end of Act II and planted it earlier in the story. Hard to say when I'll be finished, but I'm anxious to get it out there. The concept is less niche than my last effort. In terms of querying, I'll have a lot more options.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...