Saturday, March 12, 2011

Strategery!

The Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting is now accepting submissions! I plan on entering two scripts: my tweaked entry from last year and a "new" script that I've been kicking around for several months. It's a supernatural thriller that still needs a quite a bit of work, but the May 2nd regular deadline should give me enough time to get things straight. And if that wasn't enough on my plate, I'm still working on the sitcom script for the FOX contest.

I was a lot more active querying and entering screenwriting contests last year, but all my sound and fury didn't amount to very much. As a result, I've decided to be less hare and more tortoise in 2011. Fewer contests, better targeted queries and stronger concepts.

While getting read requests from production companies can be a huge boost to the ego, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're on the right track. Send out enough queries and *someone* will eventually ask to read the script. I'm far more interested in catching the eye of a reputable agent or manager these days.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...