Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Good News. Bad News.


The good news is that I discovered a flaw in my old script over the weekend, and I owe it all to Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I was planning to critique Percy's flimsy third act when it suddenly occurred to me that my screenplay suffered from the same problem: a protag with victory that doesn't feel completely earned. The conflict is almost entirely external. It's very easy to get caught up in a big action sequence and lose your way. Gonna have to take a long hard look at Act III and figure some things out.

The bad news? What took me so long!? This flaw has been staring me in the face since like forever. Screenwriting: easy to learn, hard to master. Sticking a script in a drawer for a month or two, really helps with the objectivity when the time comes for the inevitable rewrite.

My current supernatural thriller isn't quite there yet, but I'm still hoping it'll be ready for the Nicholl Fellowship.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...