Friday, April 09, 2010

Shutter Island



Hmmm... I don't want to say the wrong thing and spill the beans, so just a few thoughts. A well put together thriller. Some fine performances by a cast headlined by Leonardo DiCaprio. He plays a federal marshal, along with his partner (Mark Ruffalo), sent to investigate the disappearance of a female patient from a mental institution located on a remote island.

The film is very much a jaunt down a deep, twisting rabbit hole. It's chock full of dizzying conspiracy theories, mind-trippy dream sequences, hints of dark Nazi experiments (are there any other kind?) and whatever else the story can throw against the screen to keep audiences from getting bored. Right behind The Departed's $289 million dollar gross, Shutter Island has become one of Martin Scorsese's biggest hits, $245 million worldwide and counting.

And yet...

I've seen too many thrillers. It's next to impossible to surprise me anymore (and I wasn't here). I am surprised at the film's box office performance. If I remember correctly, the release date had been pushed back a few times, which is usually a bad omen -- I'm looking at you Wolfman. But the opening weekend's word of mouth must have been strong. Audiences can be fickle. We'll probably never know what made them latch on to this one. Leo and Scorsese together again? An adaptation of a best-selling novel? Good story, but I wouldn't exactly call it one for the ages.

2 comments:

The White Wolf said...

That box office surprises me as well. Like really-really.

I bet it's all from the over 50 crowd. My mom loved it. I stayed away because the story can only end in one place can't it?

Or like my girlfriend said: An island for 62 people? Yeah right, who cares?

I'll rent it when I can't think of anything else.

screamwriter said...

The 68% fresh rating at rottentomatoes.com probably helped as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...