Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Shhh!

"What?"
"Did you hear that?"
"I didn't hear anything."
"Exactly! It's too quiet."

On the query front, that is... I think I'm done with the first wave. Not a huge success, but at least I got one good bite out of it -- still waiting to hear back from them. Querying is hard! And in other news, water is wet.

There's something not quite right about my logline. I'm usually pretty good at coming up with them. Well, maybe for other people. It's too generic. Lacks urgency. I need to sit down and figure out a way to make the entire letter pop. Placing in a well-known contest wouldn't hurt either.

In the meantime, I'm pushing ahead with the new script. It's a mix of action and comedy. No vampires, ghosts or werewolves in sight, but there is a psycho stalker, so I haven't totally sold out.

2 comments:

The White Wolf said...

Best success dude.

Nothing more depressing than 'finishing' a script and then waiting for someone to want to read it. Hahaha.

In my experience it's bin therapeutic as all hell to start something new right away - and only worry about the other script when you need a break from the new one.

I'm also trying to convince myself that I'd be better off just writing prose. Get more done.

/suggest going to Bill Martel's forum and asking him for help with your logline.

screamwriter said...

Thanks. Even if I'd gotten ten requests, I still would've been looking for eleven. :)

It's an interesting challenge to condense a 100+ page script into a 25-30 word sentence. You want to give just enough to pique their interest, but not too much -- else they'll feel like they know exactly how the story will unfold. The only thing worse than a bad story is a predictable one.

There's also the matter of competing with countless other writers and their 'amazing' ideas. If that wasn't bad enough, we're all at the mercy of some overworked intern with a thousand yard stare. It's all a big crap shoot. Only thing left to do is keep writing...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...