Thursday, September 03, 2009

Throwback: Frailty



One of the most underrated horror films of the past decade. One night, dear old Dad wakes his sons to tell them that he's been chosen by God to slay demons. Now these demons might appear to be people made of flesh and blood, but they're actually nasty demons in disguise. Armed with a trusty axe named Otis and a pair of magical gloves, the family sets off on a strange, dark journey...

Props to James Cameron for suggesting to Bill Paxton that he keep the reveal until the end. No cats leaping out of cuppboards. No one investigating strange noises in skimpy underwear. No gore. Just lots of quiet tension. Feels almost Shyamalanesque -- I'm talking pre-Happening and Lady In The Water. Also reminds me of the CW's "Supernatural" a little bit. Sam and Dean's early years. Really wish Paxton would direct more. Haven't seen much from screenwriter Brent Hanley either. Great DVD as well.

6 comments:

K J Gillenwater said...

I loved this film. And I would agree with you, completely underrated and missed by a wider audience. I thought it was a very brave film. Thanks for reminding me about this gem. I haven't seen it in years.

screamwriter said...

What's even more shocking, the great performance from Matthew McConaughey. You can probably count on one hand the films where he hasn't coasted on charm alone.

K J Gillenwater said...

Yes, I think this was pretty much the only film I've ever liked him in. I'm no McConaughey fan.

I would also like to add "Ravenous" to the list of undiscovered or underrated gems. When I saw that movie, I went in knowing very little. They caught me completely by surprise, and I got sucked in. Sure, it's a little gory, but the suspense is excellent as is the bleakness of the outpost. I wish there was more 1800s horror.

screamwriter said...

Never got around to that one. Speaking of 1800s horror, have you seen An American Haunting? Good idea, poor execution.

K J Gillenwater said...

Yeah I did see that one. Pretty bad. Highly recommend "Ravenous." Just rent it without reading what it's about...that's the best way.

screamwriter said...

I have a pretty good idea, but I'll give it a try...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...