Thursday, May 14, 2009

Throwback Thursdays: Bermuda Depths



I was going to start this last week, but I totally forgot to post on time -- and it would've been silly to have a Throwback Thursday on Friday. Basically, a look back at some of the obscure (often cheesy) films that I grew up on. In the olden days, before Al Gore invented the internet, Netflix and six cabillion cable channels, the networks used to crank out tons of tv-movies. I can't recall most of them, but there was a fair share of supernatural stuff. "The Bermuda Depths" was one of the "classics". I couldn't begin to explain the plot, but it involves the Bermuda Triangle, a monster sea turtle and Connie Sellecca as a ghost. As far as I know, it's never been released on DVD, but a lot of Gen Xers have lingering memories of the film -- some attribute it to the music and/or humpback whale sounds. Now through the magic of youtube, you can check out the first ten minutes -- the whole thing might be online for all I know. WARNING: Extreme cheesiness ahead!

5 comments:

K J Gillenwater said...

Hm, I'm a Gen-Xer and this doesn't ring a bell.

The tv movie that sticks in my head was probably late 70s or early 80s, invasion of these deadly ants. The scene that I remember most was near the end, when there are only 2 survivors left. They are in an upstairs bedroom sitting in chairs with wallpaper rolled up into tubes so they can breathe while the deadly ants crawl all over them.

I may be remembering the details wrong...but that movie lingered with me a long, long time. *shiver*

screamwriter said...

Killer ants? I remember a tv movie about rampaging tarantulas though. Could it be "It Happened at Lakewood Manor"? Here's a youtube link.

K J Gillenwater said...

That's it! Although when I looked it up on IMDB, the title "Ants!" was what I remember.

Yes, it was probably horridly ludicrous, but I remember as a little kid being decidedly creeped out by the idea of hundreds of ants crawling all over me. Eek!

Another creepy late night movie I remember was "The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane" starring Jodie Foster. CREEPY!

screamwriter said...

Don't remember that one...

K J Gillenwater said...

Oh, you should rent it. Jodie Foster was so very good in that. Also had Martin Sheen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...