Saturday, May 09, 2009

New Trek


Wow -- movie’s not bad either. Brilliant way to reboot the franchise and not raise the ire of Trekkie purists. I enjoy shows/movies set in the Trek universe, but I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore fan -- don‘t own a lick of Star Trek related merchandise. I didn’t have huge expectations/fears for this. More than anything, I was curious if Abrams could pull it off… he does.. mostly.

Some interesting choices: a surprise romance, Kirk with daddy issues and now the weight of great expectations -- kind of Luke Skywalkerish if you ask me. Not a lot of going boldly where no man has gone before -- major nitpick. More action oriented than previous films. Are we talking great storytelling here? No. The villain is a forgettable moron and some of the classic references feel forced. But non-Trekkies seem to dig it, so I guess it’s a mission accomplished.

Nowhere near amazing as some reviews are making it out to be, but “New Trek” is far more entertaining than recent event flicks *cough* Wolverine *cough*. A promising start -- the reboot method is a frickin’ master stroke. We’ll see what happens in the future.

4 comments:

must love movies said...

hey
nice to hear someone agree with some of my thoughts. i don't think it is that great. it was fun though. i'm not a fan so i knew little about the backstories. the more i think about it i could say it was better than wolverine.

screamwriter said...

I meant to post some thoughts on "Wolverine", but completely forgot. Shows how little of an impression it had on me.

K J Gillenwater said...

I saw this last weekend with the kids. I agree with you...good, but not brilliant as some reviews would claim. I still am having trouble with figuring out how Kirk got to be captain...anyone out there want to explain it to me?

Also, why would "commander" Spock take a demotion and become Kirk's first office?

However, loved the reboot with the time travel stuff. Scotty was perfect, and the new Bones had the inflections just right. The casting was wonderful.

screamwriter said...

Nero's reasoning makes no sense. He wants revenge against Spock for something that hasn't happened yet -- and ignoring the fact that he's in a position to change the outcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...