Friday, March 06, 2009

Next Friday

Things aren’t looking good in Hollywood -- or anywhere else -- these days. Read all about the doom and gloom here.

ABC axed “Life on Mars” earlier in the week. No big surprise. I had given up on it a while ago. Intriguing premise that was never able to find its footing.

It’s doubtful, but I wish NBC would give their “Life” a shot on the USA Network. Aren’t characters supposed to be welcome there?

The CW dusted off the cobwebs and “Reaper” had its mid-season premiere on Tuesday. Good episode, but didn't resolve any of the nagging questions from last season. Also got killed in the ratings -- something like 2.3 million viewers?!

After a false start, I’m back on track with the new script -- giving the sequence method a try this time around. Been busy mapping out the story with index cards... so far so good. The old script is getting a polish for some upcoming contests.

Just a quick hit and run:

“One Missed Call”

Another Asian horror remake gone bad. Really wished I “missed” that one. Didn’t care for the original, so I should have known better. Check out Shannon Sossamon in a much more interesting flick,
“Wristcutters: A Love Story”.

7 comments:

blue-sunflowers said...

The numbers for Reaper aren't that bad, and pretty much what was expected in the first place. They fit in just fine with last season's numbers (which ranged from 2-3 million), and for the CW those numbers are well above the average the network gets for 90% of its shows anyways.

K J Gillenwater said...

"Life on Mars" was cancelled??? I actually liked what they'd done with the show and found it very poignant from week to week. Jeez. That just bugs me.

Try something a tad more unique, and you get killed in the ratings, I guess. Which blows, because I was ORIGINAL programs, not another Law & Order or CSI copy. UGH.

I am still smarting over the cancellation of "Journeyman." Great show. Didn't deserve to go under.

screamwriter said...

@Blue:

I know The CW is the home of lowered expectations, but the numbers for "Reaper" aren't good -- third lowest rated episode since the show began. I expected a slight bump from the DVD release of the first season. A little promotion from the network would have helped as well.

@KJ:

If it's any consolation, ABC plans to air all the filmed episodes. And "Journeyman" was better than this...

K J Gillenwater said...

It is some consolation...thanks for that info.

I must say, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the BBC version. The ending was incredibly beautiful. I will say nothing more for those who haven't seen it.

With Battlestar Galactica ending soon, I need to get my sci fi fix. Although I did very much enjoy Friday's "Terminator" episode. It seemed to be back on the right track after several weeks of annoying/so-so stories.

Have you seen the Terminator 4 preview? It actually looks astonishingly awesome.

screamwriter said...

All the "Terminator: Salvation" stuff looks promising. *crossing my fingers*

The masochist in me is the only reason why I continue to watch Fox's sci-fi fridays. "Sarah Connor Chronicles" has been downright painful this season. It's hard to care about the death of a character that I never liked in the first place. I've also had my fill of "Is Sarah going crazy?" type episodes.

K J Gillenwater said...

Just read that ABC plans to give some kind of closure to "Life on Mars," so I'm glad for that. I can be satisfied if they just end it neatly for me.

Good news is, the follow-on series "Ashes to Ashes" just started on BBCA. This time taking place in 1981 with Keely Hawes as the protagonist. Good stuff so far.

If you haven't seen the BBC version of "Life on Mars," I'd highly recommend it.

screamwriter said...

I've heard about "Ashes to Ashes". Going to check out the original "Life on Mars" at some point.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...