Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Splinter

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Surprisingly good. This low budget flick doesn’t break any new ground, but makes the most of what it has: cool creature effects and a claustrophobic setting -- Jill Wagner doesn’t hurt either. Starts off with a couple getting carjacked and eventually trapped at gas station with a bloodthirsty monster lurking outside. Solid acting, good dialogue, interesting characters -- the carjacker even gets an arc! Director Toby Wilkins has an unofficial Splinter blog here.

There are plenty of low budget filmmakers out there looking for something to shoot, so a script like this is always worth writing. Now that I’m *finally* done with my werewolf spec, I’ve already started something a little less ambitious.

9 comments:

K J Gillenwater said...

Thanks for reminding me about this one. I don't remember where I saw the promo for it, but this is right up my alley. Adding to the Netflix...

screamwriter said...

The director is doing a direct to DVD "Grudge 3" next.

K J Gillenwater said...

Okay, that's funny, because I just watched "Quarantine," and "Grudge 3" was one of the trailers on the DVD. Didn't look promising. But I didn't like the first one, so what do I know? Must be good pre-teen fare or something.

screamwriter said...

I liked the first "Grudge" better than the original Japanese version. The second one was awful. Not sure where they could go with a third one though.

BTW, how was "Quarantine"?

K J Gillenwater said...

"Quarantine" actually wasn't bad. I am not a fan of the 'hand-held camera' technique, though. I am sure it was used in order to add a 'real' feel to it, but it only ended up making me feel very claustrophobic. It also got SO dark, it was hard to tell what was going on.

However, the acting was all very good. There were some good gross out moments that made me happy. And the whole reason behind the quarantine was a good one.

Worth a rent.

Would've been better told in a traditional movie way with editing, clearer photography, etc.

screamwriter said...

I'm not a fan of shaky cam, but I'll try to check this one out. Have you seen the original?

K J Gillenwater said...

I noticed in the credits it was based on another film. But I didn't make note of it. What was the original? I'd love to see if it's any better.

And I'm one that liked the original Grudge better just because there is something about freaky Japanese horror that cannot be reproduced well for an American audience, I don't think.

screamwriter said...

I believe it's called REC.

You're right. J-horror sometimes gets lost in translation.

K J Gillenwater said...

Found REC on Netflix. Sounds like I should've seen the original first. It has 4.5 stars.

Thanks for letting me know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...