Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

Pretty much what I expected: dazzling visuals, but just an average tale. Looking back, I think the loss of Agent Meyers probably hurt the film more than expected. He served as a wide-eyed surrogate for the audience. There are just too many freaky creatures running around for the non-fantasy fan to settle into the story. The ho-humness to the plot didn’t help matters either. Once you save the world, what do you do for an encore? Save it again?

Like I said, it’s a great looking film. In terms of visual creativity, “Hellboy 2” easily outperforms the direct to DVD animated movies -- which is pretty amazing when you think about it. Hellboy isn’t supposed to be dark or heavy -- I get that, but a little would go a long way.

4 comments:

K J Gillenwater said...

Is it just me or is the romance between Hell Boy and Selma Blair just awkward and creepy? There seems to be absolutely NO attraction between them at all.

I thought it was okay as well...better than the first one. Liked the romance between fish guy and the princess/twin.

However, I always have problems with 'superhero' movies that have to create some worldwide catastrophic event. It plays so much better when the bad guy is a smaller thing. Spiderman does so well b/c the bad guys tend to have personal conflicts with Spiderman (a la Green Goblin and son) or a relationship with Spiderman (like Doc Ock). When it becomes this huge global event, it's just tiring...and cliched....and sort of 'so what' to me.

Plus, any movie that starts with a fairy tale to explain some history we don't know about bugs the crap out of me. Introduce your characters and the history within the plot of the movie itself...please.

I sorta wish they'd made the story about the love affair that couldn't be between fish guy and princess.

screamwriter said...

You're right about the lack of chemistry between the two leads. It became more apparent when Agent Myers was no longer in the picture. I also think Blair is better at comedy than dramatic stuff.

Saving the world gets boring after a while, but you can also go too far by trying to manufacture drama between the hero and the antagonist. It wasn't the nameless crook who killed Uncle Ben, it was Sandman! Forced, lazy and unnecessary.

Magi Rose said...

Definately not a fan of this movie.

And I agree with KJ on H and B's relationship. Awkward and creepy...

screamwriter said...

Interesting. Their relationship never really bothered me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...