Friday, August 29, 2008

Babylon A.D.



Might as well be in a foreign language because the trailer is downright incomprehensible. I have no clue what this film is about -- Well I do, but that was after extensive googling. Was the movie trailer guy with the deep voice unavailable to say, “In a world where...”? Some serious exposition was needed.

Vin Diesel, part robot, has to protect some girl who can stop bullets with her mind, Michelle Yeoh does some kung-fu and Charlotte Rampling says something profound.... right? I can’t even get a handle on the cast. Seems thrown together. And who in their right mind is making “Blade Runner” comparisons?

Not too long ago, the director went public about his nasty squabble with Fox. Looks like a project that everyone just wants to go away. Really getting very little promotion and the late August release date is clearly a dump. A 60 million dollar dump.

I kinda wish it would do well enough to generate interest in another Riddick flick -- yes, deeply flawed, but pretty to watch. What happens to the new ruler of the Necromongers? Guess we’ll never know...

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Funny thing is this film has some good buzz going for it on a couple of movie blogs I've seen.

I'm just intrigued b/c Vin Diesel is back to what he does best: bad guy with a conscience. Or something like that.

Really, I guess I just want him to play Riddick in "Pitch Black" over and over again in different movies. And, no, I didn't like "Chronicles of Riddick" at all.

So it will get added to the Netflix for later viewing.

screamwriter said...

Good buzz? Really? The director called his own movie violent and stupid. Doesn't get much worse than that... but I'll still watch it at some point.

Kristin said...

Yes, it is getting good buzz on a few places I've seen. However, I did just find some very negative stuff on IMDB and rottentomatoes. Guess I should rethink my position!

screamwriter said...

It's no wonder that Vin is heading back to "The Fast and the Furious" franchise. Can't get a hit.

movie buff said...

the previews for Babylon AD made me expect something a lot more original... it totally felt like a cross between Minority Report and the Fifth Element

screamwriter said...

There's probably a good story in the novel, but trying to compress 500+ pages into a screenplay is incredibly difficult.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...