Saturday, May 03, 2008

I AM LEGEND

Maybe my expectations were too high, because this was just okay to me. There’s a lot that could be said about the unnecessary computer generated monsters, but my main beef was the first half of the film. It starts out with shades of “Castaway”, the isolated protagonist having to fend for himself and overcome various setbacks. Hanks’ character is more effective because his struggles are external while Neville’s are on the internal side. Driving around in cool cars, hunting wild game in the streets of Manhattan and flirting with mannequins really didn’t convey the kind of inner turmoil you’d expect from the last man on earth. I know, I know, he’s crying on the inside -- seemed like wish fulfillment to me. The flashbacks helped but not enough. “28 Days Later” did a better job pulling off the creepy, abandoned city look.... I guess I was expecting something grittier, not as polished. Will gives a solid -- restrained -- performance. Okay popcorn movie but I still gotta go with the Vincent Price version...

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I'd agree with you on this one. Why didn't they stick with the original storyline (Price version)? There could have been a lot more angst to his performance. But he felt responsible why? And was so driven to stay because...huh?

There was no need to make the creatures CGI. Good make up effects would have worked better. The worst was the female he captured. Up close, with her chest heaving...it was just icky. They made her appear sexed up by dressing her so skimpily and having the figure she did...but she was this creepy zombie thing. YUCK!

And can you explain why they changed the main character's name??? Um, isn't the whole reason it's called "I Am Legend" is the hero's last name is Legend???? Why change that?

The alterations to the story were just so arbitrary and unnecessary.

screamwriter said...

Well, in "The Last Man on Earth" (Vincent Price), the protagonist is named Dr. Robert Morgan, but it's Robert Neville in the novel, "Omega Man" (Charlton Heston) and "I Am Legend" (Will Smith). I was irked at the fact that the meaning of the title was changed, going from a negative connotation to a positve one.

Kristin said...

Hmmm, I must have remembered wrong...I thought his last name was "Legend." Oh well.

Thanks for reminding me!

screamwriter said...

Not a problem.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...